1. The promoter is Shoprite Checkers (Pty) Ltd (“the Promoter”).
2. The promotional competition is open to all South African residents residing in South Africa and who are in possession of a valid identity document, passport or document of proof of South African residency. The competition is also open to all boerewors makers in South Africa, including any butchers and Meat Market managers of the Shoprite Group of Companies.
3. Any participant under the age of 18 (Eighteen) years must be fully assisted by his/her guardian, who approves of and consents to the participant’s participation in the competition and the participant’s receipt/possession of the prize.
4. This promotional competition is open from 23 May 2022 and ends at 12am (midnight) on 17 June 2022. Any entries received after the closing date will not be considered.
5. To enter, participants will be required to:
5.1 Submit their recipe by completing the Championship Boerewors entry form. Please refer to Annexure “A” for a complete breakdown of the rules relating to recipes, etc.
6. By entering the competition, the entrant confirms that the recipe entered is his/her own or entered on behalf of the recipe holder with his/her consent.
7. Participants must enter in their correct contact details. If a winner has given incorrect contact details, the Promoter reserves the right to select another winner in terms of the competition rules.
8. Participants may only enter 1 (One) recipe and a recipe may not be entered more than once (for instance through additional entrants). Whether it is done on purpose or not will be of no consequence and may lead to immediate disqualification.
9. The prizes are as follows:
9.1 The Top 30 (Thirty) finalists will each receive a R500.00 (Five Hundred Rand) Shoprite or Checkers voucher;
9.2 The Top 3 (Three) finalists will receive R50,000.00 (Fifty Thousand Rand) (1st prize), R30 000.00 (Thirty Thousand Rand) (2nd prize) and R20 000.00 (Twenty Thousand Rand) (3rd Prize) in cash.
9.3 The overall winner will receive a 2022 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 GD-6 RB 6AT worth over R600 000.00 (Six Hundred Thousand Rand). Vehicle colour based on availability and not as advertised. 10. Expiry dates can be found on the virtual voucher, where applicable.
11. All winners will be required to provide their names, ID numbers and contact details and to sign an acknowledgment of receipt of the prize, where applicable.
12. Winners will be selected by means of a judging process. The culinary experts at the South African Chefs Association (SACA) will take charge of the judging process. All entries will go through a validation process to ensure that recipes adhere to the guidelines for making truly traditional boerewors. Once validated, judging will commence to select the 30 best recipes. The judges will then narrow it down to the Top 10 recipes. The Top 10 recipes will then be judged at the final round to select the winner. The Top 30 and Top 10 finalists will be notified by email and telephonically where the winner will be required to verify their details. The Promoter (or their agent) will endeavor to contact a prize winner twice every day for 3 (Three) consecutive working days after their recipe has been selected. If the finalist cannot be contacted during this period, the prize will be forfeited and another winner will be selected in accordance with the rules.
13. The prize includes delivery, if applicable, and winners will be required to provide the Promoter with a valid day time delivery address to enable delivery.
14. A copy of these rules can be found on the following website: www.championshipboerewors.co.za throughout the period of the competition or can be obtained from the Consumer Call Centre on telephone number 0800 203 154.
15. The Promoter reserves the right to name winners publicly and any other place where the Promoter deems fit. By entering the competition, prize winners agree to the publication of their name by the Promoter.
17. The Promoter shall not be responsible for any lost, damaged, delayed, incorrect or incomplete entries for any reason whatsoever. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
18. The Promoter shall not be responsible for the failure of any technical element relating to this promotion that may result in an entry not being successfully submitted. 19. Responsibility is not accepted for entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of any network, computer or cell phone hardware or software failure of any kind. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
20. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any claim if fraud or cheating is suspected, including without limitation, through the manipulation of code or otherwise frequently falsifying data.
21. The Promoter shall have the right to change or terminate the promotional competition immediately and without notice, if deemed necessary in its opinion and if circumstances arise outside of their control. In the event of such change or termination, all participants agree to waive any rights that they have in respect of this promotional competition and acknowledge that they will have no recourse against the Promoter or its agents.
22. No incomplete or corrupted entries will be accepted. Entries will only be accepted if they comply with all entry instructions and a complete boerewors recipe.
25. NOTE: Any attempt to use multiple e-mail accounts or other tactics to enter more than the stated limit may result in disqualification and all associated entries and/or votes will be void. Entries generated by script, macro, bot, commercial contest subscription, incentives or other means not sponsored by the Promoter, vote-swapping sites, voting software, entering service sites or any other automated means and entries or votes by any means that subvert the entry/voting process or do not conform to the terms or spirit of these competition rules, will void the entry and may disqualify the entrant.
23. The prize is not exchangeable for cash (unless the prize is a cash prize) and is not transferable.
24. The Promoter reserves the right to use the images taken of the Top 10 finalists for publicity purposes in any manner they deem fit, without remuneration being made payable to a finalist. However, a finalist has the right to object to these images being used by written notification to the Promoter at Shoprite Checkers Home Office, c / o William Dabbs Street and Old Paarl Rd, Brackenfell, 7560. Att: Legal Department.
25. The Promoter shall have the right to change or terminate the promotional competition immediately and without notice, if deemed necessary in its opinion and if circumstances arise outside of their control. In the event of such change or termination, all participants agree to waive any rights that they have in respect of this promotional competition and acknowledge that they will have no recourse against the Promoter or its agents.
26. In the event that the prize is not available despite the Promoter’s reasonable endeavours to procure the prize, the Promoter reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal value.
27. Neither the Promoter, its agents, associated companies, nor any directors, officers or employees of such, shall be liable for any loss or damage, whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise arising from any cause whatsoever, which may be suffered by the participant.
28. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
29. Participation in the promotional competition constitutes acceptance of the promotional competition rules and participants agree to abide by the rules.
30. All information on the website, digital channels and till slip is provided by Shoprite Checkers (Pty) Ltd or is licensed from various licence holders. You may only use this information to assist in learning more about any particular product or service. You may not store, reuse or utilise this information for any commercial purpose.
31. You may not use any form of automated search or download technology to access this site without our prior written consent.
32. By accepting the terms and conditions as set out herein, you confirm that you are aware of the information that is being collected by us and that this information will be solely processed for the purposes of this promotion.
33. Your privacy is important to us, for more information on how we process and secure your personal information; please see our data privacy statement.
Additional Competition Rules and Regulations:
1. NO COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE PRE-MIXED SPICES AND/OR BATCH PACKS OF NEW OR EXISTING RECIPES WILL BE ALLOWED.
2. The entrant’s recipe must make up to 3kg of boerewors.
3. The entrant agrees that the recipe submitted will not be altered in any way during the competition after it has been validated by the South African Chefs Association. Should the entrant reach the Top 10 Round, he/she will be required to prepare the boerewors for use in the finale beforehand, in the presence of a senior representative of the South African Chefs Association. At this point the recipe will be compared to the entrant’s ORIGINAL VERIFIED recipe and any discrepancy will result in immediate disqualification.
4. The overall winner agrees to make his/her recipe available to the Shoprite Group of Companies and acknowledges and accepts that the Shoprite Group may produce, market and use said recipe at their discretion and for commercial purposes. If the winner is a butcher, he/she may continue to use the recipe in his/her butchery, but only under his/her own trademark and may not make any reference to this competition or his/her association thereto.
5. Participants must prepare 3kg (three kilograms) of boerewors for the finale.
6. Each participant must supply a sample packet of their special dried spices for the finale.
7. The Shoprite Group of Companies agrees that all recipes will be treated as confidential.
8. Recipes that include ingredients such as bacon, chutney, cheese, peri-peri, curry, tomato sauce, Peppadew®, green pepper, parmesan, Aromat®, chilli, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, whole peppercorns, green and pink peppercorns, lemon, soya, mustard, kidney fat, alcohol and venison will not be eligible for entry and will be disqualified. Cereal products such as oats or breadcrumbs may be used as binding agents, keeping in mind that the recipe should be suitable for mass production and a specific shelf life. Fluids are limited to Worcestershire sauce, water and vinegar.
9. The Shoprite Group of Companies will transport the finalists to and from the finale in Cape Town and will provide accommodation to the finalists during this time.
10. Should the entrant reach the Top 30, he/she will be required to send in a copy of their ID.
11. The Shoprite Group of Companies reserves the right to suspend or amend this competition as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak and the measures implemented by the Government.