Shoprite 

        Checkers

INSTAGRAM

Guidelines For Making A Traditional Boerewors

  • Use only the freshest and best quality ingredients.
  • Use good quality meat from a butcher.
  • Remove all sinews from the meat before cutting it into 50mm cubes for grinding.
  • If you are adding fat, ensure that it is rindless and cut into smaller 10mm cubes.
  • Ensure that all the ingredients are well refrigerated before mixing.
  • Evenly mix the ingredients before grinding the mixture using a medium-coarse 4.5mm mincer plate.
  • Rinse your casing thoroughly with chilled water before use and fill it firmly, but not too tightly. 
  • Let the prepared boerewors stand overnight in the refrigerator in order to allow the spices and seasoning to permeate and settle in the meat.
  • Make sure the boerewors you will be using in the competition stages is freshly made. Do not freeze, store and thaw for later use.
  • Hang your boerewors to drain any excess fluid away.
  • Your boerewors must contain at least 90% meat, always containing beef, as well as pork and/or lamb. The remaining 10% should comprise of spices, herbs and fluids.
  • Your boerewors shouldn’t contain more than 30% fat.

Entries are now open!

Still think you can tackle the ultimate boerewors competition? Submit your recipe before Friday, 21 June 2019.
For any queries, dial 0800 203 154 toll free.

 

Sponsors